Re: OT - Success! - The new Palm Pre, Google Calendar and Kontact

On 06/17/2009 04:19 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 13:15 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

          But on this point I must agree: The Pre absolutely does
          rock!!! Based on
          having used mine for just a few days now, I can confidently
          say that
          Apple and the iPhone have some serious, formidable competition
          on their
          hands - including the new iPhone 3Gs.

Not while it's only available for CDMA networks.
That's a matter of opinion and taste as opposed to fact.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/151
Well, no. The pros and cons of GSM vs CDMA as *technologies* are largely
irrelevant in this discussion. The fact is that that most of the world
uses GSM and only a GSM phone is of interest to it. The same applies to
those Americans who want to use their phone while travelling abroad. The
Palm Pre will become competitive in these markets only when a GSM
version is released. I hope it's soon as the phone itself looks gorgeous.

Umm... If you actually read the article, you would know that it
specifically states the technology is not the issue, but market is, and
that even here the "war" is likely to continue ad-infinitum.

I'll admit to not reading the article, given that the title is "Which Technology is Better: GSM or CDMA?" and we agree technology is not the issue. I have now read it. It's very short and is 4 years old. It talks about stuff that CDMA is going to do someday. Has it done these things yet? I don't know, but I'm sure a more up-to-date reference would be more useful.

If I were living outside the USA, I might tend to think the way you are
too. But actually, I *am* one of those Americans who uses their phone
while traveling abroad. I'm based in the USA and travel internationally
(mostly Western Europe right now) on a regular basis, and I have a
different perspective than you might realize. I will use GSM when I have
no other alternative - which actually is surprisingly less than I
thought.

Also, international roaming rates being what they are, I can vouch for
that most people's preference is to try to use a locally based mobile
phone, so the network compatibility issue is even smaller - regardless
of preference. I've personally paid some of those international roaming
charges. It's not a pretty sight...

I actually use multiple sim cards, which I can do with GSM. No need for multiple phones.

CDMA is also growing in several places outside of the USA, and we're not
planning to replace that infrastructure in the USA anytime soon. The GSM
tide here seems to be shrinking more than growing.