Re: OpenJDK / IcedTea is ###p

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> The JDK is GPL AFAIK, and the JDK includes de JRE. So why can´t  Fedora
> package it for the repository?. Just curious.

The GPL version is exactly the java-1.6.0-openjdk that Fedora ships.

> 2006 - GNU/LInux distros get OK to distribute Java
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3048

That's old news (from before OpenJDK) about the proprietary Java being
available under a different, but still proprietary and unacceptable
license. That license is still the license of the Sun Java binaries.

Luckily, almost all the code is also part of OpenJDK under the GPL. The
plugin is different, it's provided by the IcedTea project because Sun
hasn't released a GPLed version of the plugin yet, but there is one and
most of its initial issues and missing features are fixed in the current
version.

> Sun woos linux distros with bundle deals
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/28/sun_open_source_software_distros/

And this one is exactly about what Fedora is shipping.

> Q: Is the entire OpenJDK code base under the GPL?
> A: Yes, much of the OpenJDK code is licensed under the GPL version 2 with
> the Classpath exception. The Java Hotspot virtual machine source code is
> licensed under the GPL version 2 only. All of Sun's Java platform
> implementations are or will be licensed under the GPL version 2, or GPL
> version 2 with the Classpath exception. The GPL is endorsed by the Free
> Software Foundation, and is the license used by the GNU/Linux operating
> system. A few parts of the OpenJDK source code are licensed under other
> open source licenses such as the Apache license. An exception has been
> added to the GPL code to allow this open source code to be co-bundled with
> GPL code without concern of license restrictions. For more information on
> the Assembly Exception , please see the License section in this FAQ.
> http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/faq.jsp#b3

Once again, this is exactly what Fedora's java-1.6.0-openjdk contains.
(Well, to be precise, it contains exactly that + a small amount of
additional stuff from the IcedTea project, in particular the plugin. There
is NO plugin in stock OpenJDK at this point. IcedTea is actually adding
value, and it's all Free Software.)

> For me, IcedTea is useless, not a single JavaFX demo is able to run on it.

JavaFX is not part of the Java standard, it's an additional technology which
needs to be installed separately, and it's proprietary software, so it
won't be in Fedora until there's a Free Software version of it (which (if
I'm not mistaken) Sun claims is planned, but so far hasn't happened). So a
JRE is not expected to run JavaFX demos at all.

        Kevin Kofler