Re: Skype under Fedora-10

I'm presently in Italy,
and I want to talk to my family in Ireland.
I can and do do this over Skype, for nothing.
As far as I can see there is no alternative.

There is, you just need to install an SIP client on both ends instead of the
proprietary Skype client. There are plenty of SIP clients, all
interoperating. Well-behaved SIP servers interoperate too. (It is also
possible to connect to multiple SIP servers at once, but normally, that's
not necessary.)

        Kevin Kofler

I was running gnomemeeting for (mostly) voice and (some) web cam. My friend in Australia was using Microsoft Netmeeting. I was excited to have this open source alternative. It's just that I could never learn how to optimise it and we always had a huge delay.

I am also seeing your point Kevin. But the fatal flaw seems to be in not having good documentation.

The other alternative (when there's not sufficient documentation) is to spend forever learning a whole new field of computing. But who has time to do this every time one wants to do something new on the computer?

I'm not exactly brilliant, but even if I was, I wouldn't have the time to learn everything about fixing a car, my electric can opener and whatever million things there are to run/fix.

Most of this seems to hinge on good/understandable documentation. And I'm not talking about insider techno-speak.

Thanks,
Rocco