Re: I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ... (Gene Heskett)

From: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, 2009/May/30 17:09

On Saturday 30 May 2009, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
2009/5/30 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Why can't all of this audio crap have a 'service audio restart'? function?

Probably because there isn't a system-wide audio service. The
pulseaudio server usually runs in the user's desktop session.

Ok, so I add or remove a line in one of the /etc/pulse files. What do I have to kill and restart to make it re-read those config files and put the effect
into service?  Is a restart of X sufficient?

Right now, the only thing working is the kde sound effects. Any other source, like a new video with sound, is pure white noise at 120 db above the kde sound effects. Since I like to tour the news sites of an evening, I'll remove what
I installed and reboot in about an hour if no helpful advice seems to be
forthcoming.

Also, I tried to join the pulse mailing list, but FF had a whole cow over the https certificate, and I have never seen such a strong warning from FF before
so I didn't ok it.  Could someone advise Lennert that his sites ssh
certificate is dead or compromised?

Thanks Joonas.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@xxxxxxxxx

--
Cheers, Gene

You'd think if Linux and Fedora were so hot and wonderful there would be a
system wide audio service that actually worked from consoles as well as
from X. I need both to work to make my setup function correctly. So I am
stuck, crippled. That does not seem to be a problem in Windows with
multiple sessions as with Windows Server editions.

{^_^}