Re: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M

On Sat, 2009-05-23 at 03:31 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> In the hardware market, the best way to get nVidia to provide specs
> is not too buy their hardware. If it's costing them money not to
> provide specs, they'll have incentive to change their behavior.

Yes, but I seriously doubt that our numbers are big enough to make a
dent in their profit margin.

The situation's more bizarre when you realise that NVidia produces
components, not hardware.  They make chipsets for graphics cards (and
other peripherals), that will be built by other companies, but they
don't sell graphics cards.  It's always been in the interests of
manufacturers to release useful chip documentation.  The more
information available, the more they're used.

For those unfamiliar with that sort of thing, go and Google for things
like NE5534, TL071...  You'll get free manufacturer's data sheets, with
product specifications, test results, basic circuit diagrams of the chip
and simple demonstration circuits to use them in.  You won't get the
blueprints to clone the chip, but you'll get all the information you
need to make use of it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686