Re: Still having problems with my tv tuner -- need help

William Case wrote:
Thanks Gene;

On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 19:48 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Saturday 09 May 2009, William Case wrote:
Hi;

tvtime gives me a great picture but no sound.

[...]

You are aware that tvtime does not have a digital audio path aren't you?

Yes.  I am doing the whole thing through analog cable.

In my case, the audio output of my card, a pcHDTV-3000, is jumpered to the microphone input on my audigy2 (sb0400 chipset), and the tvtime audio is then via the mic channel of my audio card. The jumper is about 6" long. Works great.

But here in the US, we only have about 33 more days to use tvtime since its analog tv only. We shut our own analog tx off for the last time at the end of the broadcast day, June 11th.

Here, in Canada its not for a couple of more years, if I remember
correctly.  In any case I use a cable TV connection.

Maybe this will give some impetus to get kaffiene finished, it is very unstable even when hand built from the 8.4 tarball, and the 8.3 rpms for fedora do not work at all, no means to configure a channel list, no docs on how to. The scanner function is missing entirely in the rpms so for tv watching, sorry. Even the 8.4 version has a very limited number of times you can change channels before it gloms onto 100% of the cpu, and it takes several minutes to locate it and give it a shot of 'kill -9' under those conditions.

I would have given up a while ago, but since it works fine in WindowsXP
tv viewer, I can't stop tinkering with tvtime in Fedora.  I guess my
options are limited to watching TV in Windows or working in Linux.  I
was hoping to do both in Fedora.  I hate rebooting into Windows.

FWIW i have had better luck with xawtv, and on top of all the other goodness of that program it has a record function. I know that the right incantation to ffmpeg will also produce a saved file, but life is short and the ffmpeg option list isn't.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>