Re: Difference between NAT and NAPT?

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:49:13PM +0200, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 April 2009 07:51, Nifty Fedora Mitch wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 05:51:52PM +0200, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > > In short, what is the difference? Are there any (dis)advantages of
> > > using one over the other?
> >
> > Put your subject line in a search engine like Google.
> >
> >   http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~lewis/networkpages/m05s09NAT.htm
> >
> > For most "mortals" NAT is just fine.
> > NAPT may be needed on a large private network but
> > the hardware/ software has to work harder and thus
> > may cost more.
>
> Well, I was already beginning to worry if my post made it to the list at
> all. :-)
>
> Of course, I did do some research on the subject, but all that I found was
> described in a very general way, and consequently vague. So I was hoping to
> start a conversation with someone knowledgeable, in order to get more
> concrete answers.
>
> My setup consists of three to five computers and a small wireless router, with
> an adsl uplink utilizing a dynamic public IP address (just a single one, the
> m=1 case in the article you quoted). What I would like to understand better
> is the following:
>
> * Why does my ISP's router manual insists on using NAPT over NAT? The ISP tech
> support admitted to not understand why and have no explanation, but
> nevertheless they suggested that I set up the router as the manual says. Is
> there a general well-known reason for insisting on such a setup?

With ADSL and a handfull of systems there will be little difference.

Stick with the ISP's documentation and recommendations.
Both of you will be on the same page should you need to fix anything.

The wikipedia notes are good enough.  See the section "Drawbacks, Benefits".
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
And see also:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_address_translation
Do lookup and read the RFCs...

Since you are on ADSL I suspect you are very limited in the list of services you
can expose on their network.  In the normal case you only have one changeable IP address
so famous services when permitted will have to be 'targeted' to a fixed host inside
and without some external Dynamic DNS service will be undiscoverable by the world.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?