Re: 64 bit kernel in 32 bit system

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
I really like this idea, since it provides most of the benefit of 64 bit
operation without needing to have both the 32 and 64 bit libraries

The real solution for that is to just install the 64-bit libraries only (as
is already the default for 64-bit Fedora - you only get legacy 32-bit
libraries if you explicitly install 32-bit stuff). 32-bit userspace on a
64-bit kernel is just an obsolete workaround.

Some people are paid to develop system software, some of us have to work for a living.[1] Hybrid systems are a PITA, if there's a need to work with 32 bit it's vastly easier to run a 32 bit system than to try to avoid behavioral differences between 32 and 64 bit software even when built from the same source.

[1] I spent several decades developing system software at a Fortune-10 Corporate Research Center, it's a better gig than being a test pilot in a bubble factory. At least unless management suffers an epidemic of cranialanalism about working conditions.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>