Re: Fedora 10, kickstart install (booted netinst image CD) - cannot eject CD during install

On Apr 7, 2009, at 11:21 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:00:50AM -0400, Peter Schwenk wrote:
Hello:

Let me start with some background to the problem.  I'm performing
kickstart installations by booting the system with a CD made from the F10 netinst ISO. My installation RPMs are stored on an NFS server. I've got
the updates repository being served up by an HTTP server.

Now for the problem... With previous versions of Fedora (and other Red Hat-related distros, like CentOS), I was able to push the eject button on
the CD drive DURING THE INSTALLATION and get my boot CD out of the
machine. This was handy because I could start the installation, get my CD back and walk away from the machine. Now, with Fedora 10, I am unable to get my CD out of the drive during the installation. It is a minor hassle
to have to come back later to retrieve my CD.  Plus, if I want to
kickstart install multiple machines at once, I have to have many copies of
the boot CD.

Setting up a PXE boot scenario is not a good solution because I do not
have control over the campus' DHCP service.

Does anyone know how to eject a boot CD during a kickstart install?
Thanks in advance for your help.

You can still eject the disc right after both the kernel and the
initrd image load, while the kernel messages are starting to spill
out.  After that, I believe the second-stage image is loaded from the
disc once it's detected.

Thanks! That's the information I was looking for. I've always wondered how early in the boot process I was allowed to remove the CD.

--
Peter Schwenk
Campus IT Associate 3