Re: ath5k won't connect -- sometimes

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 10:00 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Yesterday I ran a Live CD of F9 (i386 KDE version) on a Toshiba laptop.
I found it could see my Wifi network but somewhat erratically, i.e. the
connection would bounce up and down every few minutes. The access point
is about 6 feet away so it's not a signal issue (and my phone connects
with no problem so the AP is OK as well).

I then went ahead and installed F9 on the hard disk, plugged in an
Ethernet cable and updated everything via yum. Now the Wifi doesn't work
at all. I even installed the latest NetworkManager from
updates-testing-newkey but no joy, even after rebooting.

All I can see in dmesg is a few lines saying:

        ath5k_pci 0000:04:00.0: registered as 'phy0'
        ath5k: pky0: Atheros AR2424 chip found (MAC: 0xaO, PHY: 0x61)
        ath5k: pky0: noise floor calibration timeout (2422MHz)
        ath5k: pky0: noise floor calibration timeout (2437MHz)
As regards ifconfig, there are a couple of new interfaces: wlan0 and
wmaster0, both marked as UP but with no IP addresses.

wpa_supplicant is running, dhclient is not.

The physical Wifi switch is on and the light is lit.

"iwlist wlan0 scanning" gives no results.

Just to add that I do know about Madwifi, the non-free driver available
from Livna. I've installed it before on pre-F9 systems and have usually
managed to get it working after a fair amount of agony. I was just
hoping not to have to go that route with F9 as it is claimed to have
Atheros support now.

In any case, I suspect the problem isn't in the actual driver itself but
in some interaction with NM.

poc

I have the same chipset in a EEEpc 702 and I found out that the 2.6.25 kernel doesn't help, I went into the Rawhide repo on Fedora 9 and got the 2.6.27-fc10 kernel and installed the 2.6.27-fc10 in fc9 and now the wireless card works perfect. The moral of this story is that the 2.6.27 kernel has the drivers for this chipset.