Is it just me or does sound quality suck in Fedora?

My fellow Fedorans,

I noticed some weird issues with my dual boot (Fedora 9/XP) workstation at home. I bought a new Creative PCI sound card and I can feel a definite improvement in the quality of the sound when compared to the onboard solution on XP (much richer bass and treble, nice eq settings for different genres)

I booted into Fedora 9 and applied all the latest updates. I won't go into the issues with PulseAudio since there are plenty of rants about that in the archives. I noticed some huge differences in the quality of the sound output. For once, I need to push the volume settings all the way up to get decent quality when watching a DVD or listening to music. At higher volume levels, I could detect some background hiss and noise. I fiddled with all the mixer settings and went nowhere. I have the codecs for mp3 and divx etc from dag wiers. I also ripped an audio CD (We love you Norah!) to ogg and mp3 and the quality  of the output was poor when compared to XP. I tested this with Rhythmbox, XMMS and VLC.

Is this a driver problem or does ALSA itself just suck? Weirdly enough, my laptop running Ubuntu also some suffers from somewhat similar symptoms. Should I be looking at the newly open sourced OSS??

-- RS