kvm and non-nat networking

Can somebody point me to the correct method of configuring kvm virtualization so that the guest OS (Windows XP in my case) appears as a simple IP address on the host LAN (participating in local subnet broadcasts, etc)?

I have kvm running now in the default mode, which implements NAT / DHCP. It works great, except I have some stupid Windows apps that need to communicate with stupid network appliances on the main LAN. They need to appear as same-subnet devices to the Windows apps.

There is a little too much info out there about kvm/qemu networking, most of which is obsolete. Pointers appreciated!

- Mike