On Sep 16, 2008, at 11:55 PM, Steve Hill wrote:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Joel Rees wrote:

If you do not agree to the GPL, you have no license at all, and the only thing that allows you to use the software in any way is fair use. Fair use does not necessarily cover running the software.
Certainly not the case the world over.  ISTR that UK copyright law
has an exemption that basically says it won't prevent you doing
whatever you need to do to use the product (e.g. installing the
software on a hard drive, copying a database into RAM, etc).
That would be, I'm assuming, that you have bought the product and
have some sort of license thereby to use it?
Remember, in the case of GPL-ed software, we are not trafficking in
software in the usual sense.
joelrees