Re: Kernel modules

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Andrea Mastellone wrote:
Hi to all,

I am collabortaing to develop a kernel driver for m5602-based webcams.
When I insert as root the kernel module, it creates the /dev/video0
which has the following permissions

crw-rw---- root,root

so that an user cannot access to the webcam :(

How to give instead the

crw-rw-rw-

permissions ? If not a driver issue, I think it is an udev issue, isn't
it ?

Thank you,

Andrea

Do you want to limit access to the user logged into the console, or
do you want it accessible to all users? To limit it the console
user, take a look at console.perms. You will need to create a rule
for it in /etc/security/console.perms.d. To change the permissions
when it is created, you will have to add a udev rule to set permissions.

Hi Mikkel,

thank you for reply. Since the cam is used by who has a graphical session in that moment, perhaps the most suitable option is to make the video device accessible to the console users. You say

> To change the permissions
> when it is created, you will have to add a udev rule to set
> permissions.

I will try to read some man page on that now...

Andrea