Re: pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Gene Heskett wrote:

pulseaudio doesn't set the user permissions on devices but is handled by
ConsoleKit / HAL

If you give a report on your audio hardware submitted to ConsoleKit
package, they could fix the problem (assuming that someone else hasn't
already reported it).
'Scuse me, Craig, but WTH does console-kit have to do with pulseaudio?  In
all the considerable ranting and raving that has gone on since F8 came out
with this supposed "improvement", I don't recall console-kit ever being
mentioned in the same context as pulseaudio.

Please explain.
The explanation is there.....

Where?

You must have missed a lot - this was discussed to death when people first had problems with pulseaudio. Consolekit assumes that the speakers are owned exclusively by whoever happens to be logged into the console at the moment. Personally I think this is as bad as if the tape device were handled that way and your system backups would crash if the wrong user happens to log in at the wrong time. I almost never log in directly at the console and what my speakers are playing shouldn't depend on that.

I believe pulseaudio has a framework that can act as a suitable sound server for a multiuser system or even network-stream access across multiple systems, but the fedora configuration emulates a toy single-user box instead. The bug isn't so much with either pulseaudio or consolekit specifically but with the choice to run pulseaudio in a session rather than as a service. It just doesn't work for scenarios where you don't dedicate the whole box to being someone's personal device.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx