Re: pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Craig White wrote:
I do detect a pattern though...it's the same one that had you giving up
on NFS and using samba for filesharing because you couldn't make NFS
work.

I would like to state for the record that like Rex, I have many, many
systems running with pulseaudio and no problems.
I respectfully do not like this attitude. I have been a systems administrator for 12 years, and I have used Fedora and RedHat through a large fraction of them (I remember RedHat 4 - not EL 4, just 4). In fact, I remember kernel 0.99.

And PulseAudio didn't work for me.

I dove in and fixed it, submitting a bug to the Fedora gods about what didn't work for me. It was closed as NOTABUG. Something I find inscrutable as, it was, indeed a bug. It was a bug because I installed Fedora and something didn't work on first install. Not good enough for these guys, though, apparently it must be something I did wrong.

Perhaps that was installing Fedora. Perhaps not. I haven't yet decided. Now that I have a better idea of what Fedora is about, Centos is looking much more appealing to me.

Perhaps it was something Mr. Heskett could have easily figured out if he'd been more knowledgeable about it or spent more time on it. That point is well taken. However, having people such as you insisting that there is no problem with PulseAudio because you've had no problems with it rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps Mr. Heskett's system is too heavily customized. Mine was not. Yet I got the exact same response, "Oh, it's your problem, you must have screwed up somewhere".

If no one's going to take people seriously when they say they are having problems with PulseAudio, and people are just going to force PulseAudio down peoples' throats when it's not working while insisting the problems are all in the head of the user, well, there's really nothing more to be said.

Thanks.

--Russell