Re: pulseaudio, howto make it work?

On Saturday 23 August 2008, Rex Dieter wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Because many of you said to use it, it worked just fine,
>
>Works fine here, and our 150+ boxen.  From what I can gather, my speculation
> is that you're seeing more like a lower-level (alsa/driver) issue, rather
> than anything to do with pulseaudio.
>
>-- Rex

No Rex, I'm seeing pulseaudio's refusal to honor the preferences carefully
setup in /etc/modprobe.conf.  If it honored them, it might work, but nowhere
in all this has anyone attempted to duplicate this:
=================busted, glad I looked==============
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=1
alias snd-card-2 snd-mpu401
options snd-mpu401 index=2

And thats NOT what I had.  I made the mistake of running the sound detector
and it, or pulseaudio overwrote what I had.  It should not touch things
unless you specifically tell it to.

Thank god for amanda and amrestore:
===================continue here================
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias snd_card-1 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=1
alias snd-card-2 snd-mpu401
options snd-mpu401 index=2

In some pulseaudio.prefs file.  I guess I don't have the required security
clearances or something.

And somewhere, an "alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0" has still come up missing,
and which I added above.  Which probably explains why that hasn't worked in
months, not that I care until we get an internet telephone that actually
works.

Bottom line?  Pulseaudio is busted here.  Several have suggested paths to
take, but until the PA folks get off their holier than thou attitude and
actually offer help, it will in all probability remain busted till the
rapture.

Thanks for the reply Rex, even if we do not agree. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)