Re: fc9 install

Fennix wrote:

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:20 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 22:29 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:

    > 2008/8/10 Fennix <cn.stefan@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:cn.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>>
    >

    >         I think that Ken Murray has the right idea.  My experience
    >         with the installation of F9 is the same.  When I do the
    media
    >         check it reports a good disk and then cannot continue the
    >         installation.  Reboot and skip the media check and the
    >         installation proceeds normally.  On my system this has
    always
    >         been the case for the numerous F9 install/re-installs that I
    >         have needed to do.
    >

    > This has been the case ever since RedHat 9 or earlier, I'm surprised
    > it's never been fixed, and it seems a little braindead to me.  A
    media
    > check is a *good* thing, right?  So why doesn't it say "yay, your
    > media passed, now let's go on with the install!"?
    >
    > Is there a reason behind this that I'm not getting?

    I haven't seen this happen myself. I would hazard a guess that it
    depends on the drive model and driver. Perhaps something isn't being
    reset correctly after the test.

    poc

That would also be my guess as well. I cannot remember now whether this happened in prior version installs now. This time I was affected recently with grub errors after an update and was no longer able to boot F9. F8 still worked if grub loaded and did not report a stage 2 error. Tried re-installing F9 and it always seemed to stall towards then end (file #835 of ~936) for a generic install (take the defaults for choices and modify once a base system was installed) so I tried numerous times and encountered the post media check hang. I could only successfully install this time from the latest Fedora Unity release. Not sure if I tried the media check then as that was ~ my 8th attempt to reinstall....

I am not sure how to get any log errors when an install is unsuccessful to find out more for a bugzilla report. Today I did see some messages regarding other consoles for error messages and will keep this in mind if I do encounter such a problem again.

Fennix

Reply to both Poc and Fennix:

I'm going to try Ken's suggestion and, if it doesn't work, will try the 6 CD process. I said I would get back today with the results, but I am in "SIGGRAPH hell week" and don't think I can face anything else until the weekend after it ends.

Thanks for the replies,
Paul