Re: How to recover root password

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 22:30 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Ricky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had a root passwd which was so secure that even i cannot remember
> it
> > now, lol!
> >
> > Can Someone help as to how i can recover it!!!!???
> >

> > Any suggestions???
> >
> If the owner of the system was even slightly security conscious there
> is
> not only a root password, but a grub password, a boot sequence which
> only includes the disk, and a BIOS password so the boot sequence
> can't
> be changed.
>
> If the system is secure you also need the passwords for each
> encrypted
> filesystem.
>
> These are good steps to follow, particularly with a laptop, even if
> you
> think you never answered any questions, keep no secure information,
> etc.
Except to some of us you are being paranoid. But I admit it depends on
the environment you work in.

An OT story about this. I was in the roo0m when a SUN representative
told some members of the AF Security Command that Java was arriving that
could download software to your machine through the web. They nearly had
a heart attack. These are people who run computers in copper cages to
prevent data transmission through the air.. That is a security feature
you did not mention.