Re: How to recover root password

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 22:30 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Ricky wrote:
Hi,

I had a root passwd which was so secure that even i cannot remember
it
now, lol!

Can Someone help as to how i can recover it!!!!???

Any suggestions???

If the owner of the system was even slightly security conscious there
is not only a root password, but a grub password, a boot sequence which only includes the disk, and a BIOS password so the boot sequence can't be changed.

If the system is secure you also need the passwords for each
encrypted filesystem.

These are good steps to follow, particularly with a laptop, even if
you think you never answered any questions, keep no secure information,
etc.
Except to some of us you are being paranoid. But I admit it depends on
the environment you work in.

Cautious. None of these things imposes a performance impact on runtime, except a tiny one for the disk encryption to be picky. I try to care for the data I have as if I might have to explain to a security agent why I didn't.

An OT story about this. I was in the roo0m when a SUN representative
told some members of the AF Security Command that Java was arriving that
could download software to your machine through the web. They nearly had
a heart attack. These are people who run computers in copper cages to
prevent data transmission through the air.. That is a security feature
you did not mention.

I have had DOD and DOE clearance and worked in TEMPEST secure rooms, but I agree that sometimes people need a good paranoid. Someone who wakes up at 2am with one more item for the list kept for the time management slips up and asks "what could possibly go wrong?"

I have quit jobs because management would not sign off in writing when they declined best practice, and been reassigned for refusing to follow orders without a written sign off. I can find another job, I can't find another reputation.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>