Re: PGP signatures.

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 11:07 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 16:48 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
gpg --list-keys 1E1C9C17
This does not work for me.

Do you have her key in your key ring? If not, you have to run
gpg --recv-keys 1E1C9C17
first.

Mikkel
When I run: gpg --recv-keys 1E1C9C17

I get the following message:

akonstam@cyrus ~]$ gpg --recv-keys 1E1C9C17
gpg: requesting key 1E1C9C17 from http server subkeys.pgp.net
gpgkeys: no key data found for http://subkeys.pgp.net/
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

It looks like ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf may not have the keyservers configured correctly. I know I kept the same config file through several updates, and the keyservers were no longer valid. I am not sure if hkp://subkeys.pgp.net would work. I am using:
keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.us.pgp.net

Let me share that to me the whole discussion of PGP signatures was very
unenlightening. I have no idea how to sign e-mail or validate a pgp
signed e-mail All the discussion seemed to me to be aimed at people who
knew all about this.

Before anyone gets offended let me admit you might reply RTFM.

Well, you could run (p)info gnupg or visit http://www.gnupg.org
There are also man pages for gpg... As far as verifying e-mail, there are probably plugins for your e-mail client. I am using one for Thunderbird.

Mikkel