Re: setting preferences globally?

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:30 -0400, francis keyes wrote:
> I solved the problem of setting Gnome preferences globally by doing
> the following:
>
> 1.  create a new user testuser and set up that user's Gnome profile
> the way I want it.
> 2.  chmod -R a+rwx /home/testuser/.gconf*
> 3.  mkdir /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS
> 4.  cp -r /home/testuser/.gconf* /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS
> 5.  rm -rf /home/*/.gconf*
> 6.  create a little shell script called cpmult to copy the new config
> files to everyone's home directory:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> for i in $(ls /home);
> do cp -rfpv /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS/.gconf* /home/$i;
> done;
>

> This is pretty round-about but it worked.  I'm really surprised Gnome
> doesn't have this functionality built in.

For creating accounts with settings you want, preset, there's
the /etc/skel/ directory (skeleton files to build in each new
userspace).  You'd make your default user config, then copy it into
there.

But for modifying existing accounts, you'd need to do something else.
Like you've done, or a tool existing already for doing the same thing.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.