Re: setting preferences globally?

Hi All,

We're using Gnome.  Sabayon, sadly, is a good idea but didn't work.
I solved the problem of setting Gnome preferences globally by doing the following:

1.  create a new user testuser and set up that user's Gnome profile the way I want it.
2.  chmod -R a+rwx /home/testuser/.gconf*
3.  mkdir /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS
4.  cp -r /home/testuser/.gconf* /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS
5.  rm -rf /home/*/.gconf*
6.  create a little shell script called cpmult to copy the new config files to everyone's home directory:

#!/bin/sh
for i in $(ls /home);
do cp -rfpv /UNIVERSAL_CONFIGS/.gconf* /home/$i;
done;

This is pretty round-about but it worked.  I'm really surprised Gnome doesn't have this functionality built in.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Ian Chapman <packages@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
francis keyes wrote:

> My question is:  as root, is there a way that I can set every user's
> screen saver preferences to NOT lock the screen?

If the desktop is KDE, you can do the following:

Edit the following file:

/usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/kdesktoprc

The particular thing of interest is the following stanza:

[ScreenSaver]
Enabled=true
Lock=true
LockGrace=120000
Priority=19
Saver=KRandom.desktop
Timeout=1800

You can set Lock=false

You should also be able to use the KDE immutable option next to the
stanza name so that users cannot override these settings, eg.

[ScreenSaver] [$i]

Note though, that an rpm update may obliterate your changes, so you
could create your own kde profile and add it in /etc/kderc which is how
I've done similar things for our computer labs.

--
Ian Chapman.