Re: Maintaining a local yum repository

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, Derek Tattersall wrote:

Hello,

I currently have 3 computers running Fedora 8. I think it would
probably be a good thing to set up a local repository for yum,
rather than downloading each package 3 times.

I have looked at the howto at www.howtoforge.com, and I am not
really happy with the method described there. It involves picking a
particular mirror and using rsync to keep the local repository up to
date.

It seems to me that this would have some problems. For one thing it
puts a bigger load on whichever mirror I am rsync'ing to. For
another thing, It seems to that there might be some security issues
with just grabbing the packages without checking the key as yum
does.

Is there a better way to keep a local repository up to date?
Ideally, I would like to find a way to just download the packages
that my local users ask for, not the whole thing. And I would prefer
to use the mirror list at fedora rather than just use one particular
server.

I would also prefer to automate the whole process rather than doing
it manually.

Does anybody have any ideas about this? Or would I be better off
just continuing to use the fedora repository?

i'd be interested in knowing this as well.  what i wanted was a way to
start with an empty local repo, then, when i update one system, all
RPMs that are downloaded are also used to start populating this local
repo.

next, when i update another system, the local repo will be examined
first, after which the mirrors will be checked and (once again)
anything that has to be downloaded will quietly be added to the local
repo.  and so on and so on.

not surprisingly, i intend to put that local repo on an external hard
drive hanging off of my router so that it's available to all local,
internal machines.

thoughts?

I too am looking for the exact same solution.
rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca