Re: Maintaining a local yum repository

On Jan 26, 2008 10:25 AM, Derek Tattersall <tatters@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently have 3 computers running Fedora 8. I think it would probably
> be a good thing to set up a local repository for yum, rather than
> downloading each package 3 times.

It would. I'm looking to set this up properly myself. Haven't recently
setup a mirror for that very purpose.

> I have looked at the howto at www.howtoforge.com, and I am not really
> happy with the method described there. It involves picking a particular
> mirror and using rsync to keep the local repository up to date.

That's they properly way.

> It seems to me that this would have some problems. For one thing it puts
> a bigger load on whichever mirror I am rsync'ing to.

For the first sync yes... subsequent syncs shouldn't be bad

> For another thing,
> It seems to that there might be some security issues with just grabbing
> the packages without checking the key as yum does.

Well... I don' know why you think that... you're still going to use
yum to install the pacages.

> Is there a better way to keep a local repository up to date? Ideally, I
> would like to find a way to just download the packages that my local
> users ask for, not the whole thing. And I would prefer to use the mirror
> list at fedora rather than just use one particular server.

Looks like you want this, https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/InstantMirror/

I haven't used it yet myself, but intend to investigate it.

> I would also prefer to automate the whole process rather than doing it
> manually.

There's no reason to rsync manually

> Does anybody have any ideas about this? Or would I be better off just
> continuing to use the fedora repository?
>
> Thanks

It's best to reduce bandwidth usage by caching it all.

A third option is to use squid... but I haven't investigated this
properly yet myself.

( www.pembo13.com )