Tom Horsley wrote:
I had the same problem replacing my old IDE DVD writer with an SATA
writer. I also found the same solution.
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 18:00:01 -0500
Tom Horsley <[email protected]> wrote:
Anyone know why The primary device is still /dev/sr0
but the symlinks all have names like /dev/dvd1 now
(I also have /dev/cdrw1, etc).
OK, I found the file:
Comment says it was generated by /lib/udev/write_cd_rules
and I can change it if I want to. I did, and all is well.
Too bad write_cd_rules isn't smart enough to notice a
non-hotpluggable device is now gone and delete those
rules before writing new ones for the new device...
On a similar note, my DVD burner died on my server so I temporarily
replaced it with a CD-ROM drive I had lying around so I could boot the
F8 rescue disk and install over FTP from my desktop. In this case when I
replaced the CD-ROM with the burner from my desktop the drive was not
detected at all. I have no idea how to force the detection so I copied
the .rules file from my desktop which provided all the symlinks and such
but replaced the address/bus info with what was in the .rules file on my
It did the trick but it seems strange to have such a problem detecting
very standard hardware in a modern operating system.