Re: upgrade to fedora 8 from fedora 5

hong zhang wrote:
List,

I want to upgrade my laptop to fedora 8 from fedora 5.
May I simply download fedora 8 iso  file to my hard
disk and upgrade from there? Or there is better way to
do it?
Best practice: back up data. fresh install f8 from dvd or hard disk method.
Next best: dvd upgrade.
Last: yum upgrade.
Still wise to back up your config and data before upgrade.

In both cases, peruse the following to get insight into changes and issues between versions:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC5Common
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6Common
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F7Common
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/Common
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/index.html

especially:
- libata introduction causing /dev/hda's -> change to /dev/sda's
- needing labeled partitions
- disk driver obeying HPA areas.
- check for volume errors
- check for selinux labelling gone wrong

There is also some projects working on improving yum upgrade process / info, and another for preparing systems for upgrades. Any weird things you find might be of use to either of those projects.

DaveT.