Re: mail aliases question

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 06 January 2008, John Summerfield wrote:
Brian Chadwick wrote:
create a file called ".forward" in /root.  The content of the file is "
user@localhost" .
I don't recommend that; it works for some MTAs and not for others. It's
okay maybe for individual users for temporary changes, but really it's a
relic of the 70s and 80s, where email clients expected direct delivery
and users read their mail from a shell account on the machine which
takes delivery of their mail.

Some email users don't have shell accounts; indeed only users with a
need for a shell account should have one. With no shell account, and no
home directory (not essentially tied to no shell account) there's no
place to store .forward, and even where there is security suggests users
shouldn't be able to read others' files, and if email is delivered by
non-root (as it should be) then the MTA's delivery agent won't see it.

As I restore things, such as cron jobs, I'll make sure the mailto: is set to me. However, there are some apps that apparently hard code it to send to the user that ran them & the only way around that is to fix su so it doesn't run into selinux pre-login of anybody. I'll check on the next reboot to see if runcon is the answer there, I've made the changes to rc.local to use that function instead of su.

That's not what I had in mind, but it might be an okay interpretation.

How about you decide to run an email service along the lines of pobox.com. Your users would be entitled to connect via pop3, imap and maybe smtp. They would not have a home directory, so a .forward file could not be used.

Probably, you'd not use /etc/aliases either, but it serves to illustrate my point. Same sort of deal at the school where I work. General staff access is mail only.

Thanks John.

--

Cheers
John