Re: mail aliases question

On Sunday 06 January 2008, John Summerfield wrote:
>Brian Chadwick wrote:
>> create a file called ".forward" in /root.  The content of the file is "
>> user@localhost" .
>
>I don't recommend that; it works for some MTAs and not for others. It's
>okay maybe for individual users for temporary changes, but really it's a
>relic of the 70s and 80s, where email clients expected direct delivery
>and users read their mail from a shell account on the machine which
>takes delivery of their mail.
>
>Some email users don't have shell accounts; indeed only users with a
>need for a shell account should have one. With no shell account, and no
>home directory (not essentially tied to no shell account) there's no
>place to store .forward, and even where there is security suggests users
>shouldn't be able to read others' files, and if email is delivered by
>non-root (as it should be) then the MTA's delivery agent won't see it.

As I restore things, such as cron jobs, I'll make sure the mailto: is set to
me.  However, there are some apps that apparently hard code it to send to the
user that ran them & the only way around that is to fix su so it doesn't run
into selinux pre-login of anybody.  I'll check on the next reboot to see if
runcon is the answer there, I've made the changes to rc.local to use that
function instead of su.

Thanks John.

--
Cheers, Gene