Re: Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

Knute Johnson wrote:
Secondly, please tell me how you manage to get XP running in half an
hour.  It takes far longer than half an hour on all the PCs I've seen to
prep the drive and install the software.  Never mind what comes after
the first boot of the barebones system.

Lot's of practice reloading it :-). I've had to load it many times for work and you get pretty good at it after a while.

As for Linux, I can't get F7 to run on my mail server and it's clone. It just won't boot. I'm SOL. I'm going to have to buy a new computer for my mail server or go back to a Windows system like Mercury.

If I had unlimited time I think I might try playing with BSD. It should run on my old mail server computers.

I'd give Centos 3.x a try on old machines. It has the 2.4 kernel and is still supported with security/bugfix updates and administration is very similar to fedora. And on a server, old versions are fine.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx