RE: Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

No, currently Linux will never beat Windows.
It's to complicated, an average home or office user will never get it to
work.
So personally I would not recommend anyone, who isn't a geek to use it.

I have tried my self a couple of times to install and run Linux on desktop,
allways ended up with a no-go.
Everytime I have ended up with bying full non-oem XP licence's instead.
I do run it on my servers though.

XP I can get up and running regardless of hardware in say 30 min's Linux
takes considerably longer time (days, weeks, months in some cases).

XP has basically everything, without hassle, extremly stable (basically
never crashes). Antivirus software is not an issue really. You probably need
it on linux as well, at least in the near future.

If you buy a preloaded PC, you probably have everything you need, for basic
home use.
It is cheaper for most people to purchase a valid XP license than spending
hours to get a linux-box to work.
Similar with Office, its cheaper to buy MS Office than spending time to get
Open Officce or whatever thay are called to work.

You can easilly fool yourself with the pricetag on any software, but time is
monney, allways.
Regarding MS support, well, those few times I have been forced to use it, it
is very good.

Personally, however I don't like MS-Office especially MS-Word, I love
WordPerfect, but last time I tested it it was extremly buggy, anyone that
knows how it is today, with the latest version?

With best regards

Tomas Larsson
Sweden
http://www.tlec.se