Re: Burning / rights problems

At 9:42 AM +0200 6/11/07, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>On 11/06/07, Patrick Moelands wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Going through the archives, I couldn't find a previous reference to a
>> problem I have.
>>
>> Whenever I start NeroLINUX, I get a message telling me the software
>> doesn't have the proper rights to access the dvd-rom-player and the
>> dvd-burner. Both devices are IDE, but are recognised as /dev/sg1 and
>> /dev/sg2.
>>
>> If I issue the following (as root), I can burn. But it is not
>> permanent, rebooting re-creates the problem:
>>
>> # chmod o+r+w /dev/sg0
>> # chmod o+r+w /dev/sg1
>> # chmod o+r+w /dev/sg2
>>
>> Any ideas how to solve this?
>
>This appears to be specific to NeroLINUX, since other disc burning
>software uses devices like /dev/cdwriter or /dev/scd* which are
>assigned to the console user at login-time.

I'm still using FC6, myself, ond on FC6 at least all the device aliases are
simply symlinks, and the real device (in my case /dev/hdc) is owned by the
desktop user.  So if F7 works the same way, I'd expect that /dev/sg* would
be owned by the desktop user, but perhaps F7's Fast User Switching does it
differently?