New kernels (was Why I'm not giving up yet)

At 10:17 AM 6/10/2007, Jeffrey Ross wrote:

<JR>>>>>I see that kernel 2.6.21-1.3226 is now available for download along with a bunch of Gnome updates.<<<<<

What is the safest way to update the kernel?

I assume it is via the F7 "Software Updater" facility (designed specifically for updating packages and, one would assume, updating the kernel). However when I call up Software Updater I see the Gnome updates that Jeffrey mentioned but I don't see any kernel updates.

I can update (and have in the past updated, on various Fedora installations) the kernel using http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel, but I have no need to build custom kernels at this time and anyway I'm not entirely certain that all artifacts (e.g. kernel source, module links, etc.) are completely updated using that process, whereas I assume that Software Updater takes care of all of that.

For the record, I have (so far) had no trouble with the 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 kernel (which has been reported here as "buggy") on VMware 6.0 on a Windows XP host, but on the other hand I haven't exactly been pushing it to its limits...