Re: FC6 install does not recognize the CD/DVD it successfully booted from

Frode Petersen skrev:
Kam Leo skrev:
I would not rely on cable select doing the proper thing. Make sure
that the CD/DVD drive is connected to the end of the IDE cable and
that the jumper is set to the "master" position.

I checked and that was the way it was set up.

I guess the most likely reason for my problems is that the drive is faulty, so I'll get a new one.

Thank you all for the help along the way towards that conclusion!

Are there any problems with sata dvd burners and linux? (I think there might have been when I built this computer 1.5 years ago, which was why I bought the ide version.) Specifically, do any of you have any experience with the NEC AD-7170S or the Samsung SH-S183A units?

Frode

I found a procedure I want to try before giving up on this. Points against the dvd-burner failing:
- The media IS bootable.
- Each file on the media is readable and has md5sum matching the same file in the .iso image on disk.
- Fedora mounts the media

If I buy a new drive and it turns out that it wasn't faulty, it'd be a waste of money.

The procedure I found comes from an Ubuntu bug report, and can be found here, (where it is explained): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/24022

Here it is:
Step 1: Startup the installer and go to console 2 directly, before even
selecting a language.
Step 2: Press enter to activate the console.
Step 3: modprobe ide-cd
Step 4: modprobe ide-core
Step 5: modprobe ide-generic
Step 6: hdparm /dev/cdroms/cdrom0

At this point it should tell you "IO_support = 1 (32-bit)"

Step 7: hdparm -d1 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
Step 8: Switch back to console 1
Step 9: Proceed with selection language etc - everything will work now.

At step 2 nothing happens when I press enter. I can switch console (seemingly?) using Alt-F2, but it does not get activated. In consoles 3 and 4 there are output from the boot process, naming, among other things, modules that are loaded. Close to the end of one of the lists, 3 modules are loaded: forcedeth, libata and sata_nv, in that order. While not identical to the bug report, I'd like to have a go at the procedure, just to see if it makes any difference.

Under FC6, are there extra consoles set up in the install boot image, so that I can follow the steps above, or is there a defferent way to achieve the same result?

Frode