Anyone using Audacity?

I've been using audacity from the Fedora repo on my FC5 system since a year ago, and it's worked very well. However, the last update

/var/log/yum.log.1:Nov 14 12:18:28 Updated: audacity.i386 1.2.5-3.fc5

badly broke it. With a 30s chunk of generated audio, it seems ok, but with any audio read from a file, the GUI has a terrible lag. E.g if I click on the track to place the cursor, there is a ~1 second lag before the audio cursor appears, and during that 1s, the CPU is pegged. As I add more audio to the project, the delay gets longer and longer. With 45 minutes of audio, the interface delay is 5-6s and the CPU is at 100% almost constantly. It's nearly impossible to work with the program at that point.

Is anyone having better success? Does it work better on FC6/7?

Any ideas for debugging or fixing this?

<Joe