Re: Fedora7 or Fedora ? (Progressive installation?)

clemens@xxxxxxx wrote:
With Fedora7 being released within a month, I would like to ask where
the discussion of Fedora 'N' becoming just Fedora that was going on a month or two ago went.

I find it irritating (if not impossible) to have to reinstall with each new
release of Fedora, and having an OS that could be continuously updated
would be a real plus.  I realize that during 'initial' development this is
difficult, but since we are at '7' it seems that Fedora should be as smart
as other distributions that CAN do continuous updates.

So, what happened to that discussion?

I agree with you that a progressive and evolutionary path should be available to upgrade from one short lived version to the next short life cycle release. I don't like the install clean with each new release which some highly recommend as being the best course. However those hovering around with installations several release version back and then wanting to jump to the current or soon to be released versions will surely have problems. The time span would be too great and even proprietary OSes would have problems within the lengthened gap in progression and the fast pace of technological changes that came along the way since the previous snapshot version of the OS was stopped from continued support. An alternative and almost "progressive" distribution is development which is a lot more stable with yum as the update retrieval agent and other tools to stabilize the package introduction. (Yum and mock) Anyway, I have two issues with development and they are supposed to be resolved but the packages are not yest available. (dual display and disk geometry).

Anyway, as stated in the past by myself, being able to just pull in the updates, get opportunities to add new technological items to previous versions would be so much easier to deal with as a user. (A what's new package group of some sort). I know that the developer side of the equation might not be so smooth as the user mode utopia though.

File an RFE and I'd add myself to the Request for Enhancement bug report. Of course I was ignored or shot down in postings before on mailing lists. I never filed a report on the issue however.

Jim

--
An effective way to deal with predators is to taste terrible.