Re: Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Tomas Larsson wrote:

My experience:
[...]
The rumour that XP is unreliable etc, is just a rumour.
I have never been infected with a viruus on my XP-boxes, however I have been
rooted once on my FC-boxes.
Obviously it was my own fault, forgot about an old phpBB installation on a
public webserver.

You must be very young, very firewalled, or very lucky - or your machines all came pre-installed with some service pack level. There was a point when if you installed a fresh XP or win2k the odds were that you would be hit by a virus before you cold get the service packs installed over the internet.

The so-called problem with Windows is, I think, that there are so much crap
software out there, that people install without any thoughts at all, plus
the fact that people use quite a lot of cracked sw, with no clue what's in
it.

That's only a small part of the problem. There have been dozens of possible exploits within IE, so all it takes is visiting a site that triggers it. Likewise, many of the outlook exploits did not require that you open the message.

I use XP because it gets the work done, with a minimum of work, I dont want
to spend days trying to figure out on how to read from a CD or weeks to
figure out why my network-card does not work.

That has to more to do with buying a machine with a preinstalled OS than which OS it is.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx