Re: Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Today Tim did spake thusly:

Tim:
Or how in hell to get MSN messenger to work through your firewall, or
any other number of things that you need to get to work with your
system, but come with no more information than an instruction to see
your system adminstrator (who has no information about it, anyway).

Scott van Looy:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q240063/

Most windows sysads know both, or are at least as capable as myself of
googling it... :)

I mentioned MSN specifically, as in the past, I had cause to resolve
that problem.  Microsoft, at that time, did not make public what you
needed to do, the only information was third party, and incorrect.
Later on, I did find some information from Microsoft about it, but it
didn't work.

Never ever had a problem with this or finding out what I needed to from the 'net. port80 originally, then port 443 and 80 when they decided to turn on SSL. That and 1863 for the initial handshake - which has always been fairly well documented as far as I can see, I've found references to this going back at least 4 years in a brief search ;)

I know that when I first set up redhat 6 as my firewall I certainly had no issue sorting out that, just had a bit of an issue with file transfers through NAT which I fixed in a short bit of googling

--
Scott van Looy - email:me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human.
		-- David Bowie