Re: Good Beginner Distros (Was: Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat)

PCLinuxOS is actually a pretty good distro, but I'd wait until they make the next version final.

And, in response to the title (why microsoft and not Red Hat), most people don't know about Red Hat.  Besides, Red Hat's kinda expensive (>$100), even if they do give you support.

On 4/17/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kelly wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:45 pm Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> My personal feelings are that FC would be a poor choice for your
>> average home user, especially one that is migrating from an older
>> version of Windows. (98)
>
> Okay, seriously then, what distro would be a good choice for the average home
> user?  I'm trying to answer that question myself, while searching for good
> distros for my younger brothers to run; they both have some computer
> experience, but only with Windows, and I have a personal thing against
> Debian-based distros after the time that three different Debian/Ubuntu
> installs failed in the same way within a week.  Any suggestions?

Ubuntu is really making an effort, so I wouldn't hold earlier failure
against them.  The 7.04 desktop release sounds promising if you aren't
tied to RedHat-style administration:
http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntudesktop704

--
   Les Mikesell