Re: Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Kelly wrote:
On Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:45 am Jim Cornette wrote:
This problem is a horrible feature when removing software. I have seen
this problem happening with removal of some programs. The user needs to
be careful. The packager needs to be careful also with preventing
dependencies which could get you in this type of problem.

Now after reading your major problem in the tail of the message, the
installer could provide sort of features to install software on command,
like linux install "X server". Maybe one day there will be such features
to the installer. I don't know how hard it would be to implement. It
sounds complicated, but some love the challenge and positive results
from their efforts.

Regardless of anything else, there really ought to be a way to mark a package/set of packages as IMPORTANT and get yum/whatever to issue a warning ("Warning: removing this component may break the system/prevent you from using GUI/whatever; are you sure you want to to do this?") if one of these important packages is marked for removal.

File a request for enhancement at http://bugzilla.redhat.com

Rahul