Re: Totem=noshow

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 15:55:01 +0000 (UTC)
"Amadeus W. M." <amadeus84@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> what it can do in this release. I'd really like to see totem do everything
> I need it to do. Until it does, I can't just not watch the proprietary
> media formats, I have to use something else.

That isn't going to change until US law changes unfortunately. As it
stands at the moment a US citizen merely mentioning the URL of the livna
archive is committing an offence according the caselaw established by the
2600 magazine lawsuit, let alone the string of offences (some criminal)
they may be committing by daring to use software that is legal in the
rest of the world.

If Fedora were to supply such software then it too be committing offences
or at very least aiding and abetting them.

Totem built with the right back ends can do pretty much all formats,
however most of the back ends have serious problems in the USA, and one
or two in the EU as well.

Alan