Re: Partial FC6 upgrade? RPM database

Tony Nelson wrote:
At 11:56 AM -0500 11/18/06, Jim Cornette wrote:
Tony Nelson wrote:

Well, I applied the aumix update via puplet and the RPM database is still OK.

This command verifies the various RPM database files:

    []# ( cd /var/lib/rpm ; for name in `find . ! -name '__db*' -type f -print` ; do echo "$name" ; /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_verify "$name" ; done )

Expect output if something is incorrect.  That output doesn't refer to the
offending file, hence the "echo" command before it.

Thanks! I suspected it would spew out information for each element, though I was not sure.

However, from reading RPM's source, the proper and undocumented command is:

    []$ rpm --verifydb

Thanks! I ran the command just now on my FC6 installation and this command came back with no output. At least I verified both databases with the email read and trials.

which seems to work fine as a normal user, as it opens the files read-only.

Since some files are not visible to normal users, I usually do verify operations as root. I also tried the command as a normal user and nothing was flagged. For rpm -qaV though, I found chroot files and intentionally hidden from the normal user to be flagged as missing if done as a normal user.

Jim

--
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.