Re: x86_64 or i386?

Mike Hix wrote:

Hi -

I have recently upgraded my hardware, upgrading to FC5, and I’m wondering whether to use i386 or x86_64.

Hardware:

Pentium D 950

Intel D975XBX Desktop Board

DDR2 667

NVidia GeForce 6800

Etc...

Any additional information about the x86_64 packages and software availability would be nice. Google wasn’t very forthcoming on the subject.

Thanks!

- Mike

As most have shown here, plugins are about the only issue you will see on Fedora x86_64.

What they don't point out is that smp is built into the x86_64 kernel in a good way. 64 bit computing has been here for many years now, it is only Microsoft (and as a result, intel) that wish to stay there at 32 bit computing. All other players have long since moved on (or died trying).

Also, just to put some lemon juice on that paper cut, look here for the easiest IE6 on Linux EVER!

http://esourcehome.com/wiki/index.php?title=IE_for_FC5

It worked like a champ on my 64bit rig.
Then it really doesn't matter, does it?

Gotta have YouTube and Movies.com (or whatever)? Slam it down with a helping of IE6 :)

Good luck on whatever you try.