Re: x86_64 or i386?

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 16:37 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
> Mike Hix wrote:
> >
> > Hi -
> >
> > I have recently upgraded my hardware, upgrading to FC5, and I’m
> > wondering whether to use i386 or x86_64.
> >
> > Hardware:
> >
> > Pentium D 950
> >
> > Intel D975XBX Desktop Board
> >
> > DDR2 667
> >
> > NVidia GeForce 6800
> >
> > Etc...
> >
> > Any additional information about the x86_64 packages and software
> > availability would be nice. Google wasn’t very forthcoming on the subject.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > - Mike
> >
> As most have shown here, plugins are about the only issue you will see
> on Fedora x86_64.
>
> What they don't point out is that smp is built into the x86_64 kernel in
> a good way. 64 bit computing has been here for many years now, it is
> only Microsoft (and as a result, intel) that wish to stay there at 32
> bit computing. All other players have long since moved on (or died trying).
>
> Also, just to put some lemon juice on that paper cut, look here for the
> easiest IE6 on Linux EVER!
>
> http://esourcehome.com/wiki/index.php?title=IE_for_FC5
>
> It worked like a champ on my 64bit rig.
> Then it really doesn't matter, does it?
>
> Gotta have YouTube and Movies.com (or whatever)? Slam it down with a
> helping of IE6 :)
>
> Good luck on whatever you try.
x86_64 is really not worth the hassle, well if the box is meant as a
production server of course. If you want to experiment FC5 x86_64, its a
good way to go, but a lot of programs out there are written for 32 bit
machines and its a heck of a curve to go through.

I installed FC5 x86_64 to run Qmail on it and the consequences were
disastrous, every 4-7 days the machine kept going down, i was losing
clients on a daily basis and i hastily put together a machine and
installed FC3 i386 and it has outperformed the machine i acquired to use
as a dedicated mail server.

in my opinion i386 is much better as for x86_64, a lot of people are
still experimenting and you would just be asking for trouble if you make
this into a production server