Re: latest firefox version for fc4

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 12:43 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Dan wrote:
> > John Wendel wrote:

> >> Not true! I'm running 1.5.0.4 on an FC3 system. Works fine.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> John
> >>
> > Well I mean for them to package it with the packages for FC4. Otherwise
> > they would have.
> > -Dan
> >
> But Firefoxes site can package it and it runs on FC4.
>
> I think it has more to do with all the RH changes.

I used to think that it was because some 1.0.x plugins wouldn't work in
1.5.x and that there was a policy of not doing major version updates
within a release that would break things like this for existing users.

However, given the discussion on fedora-devel-list about issuing an
update of xorg 7.1 for FC5 (for which there are currently no proprietary
nvivia or ATI drivers available), it seems that there is no policy in
place that prevents major version updates being issued even if would
cause issues for third-party add-ons.

There was a discussion about mozilla/firefox vulnerabilities on
fedora-security-list last month:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-security-list/2006-June/msg00022.html

Perhaps the package maintainer is still busy backporting fixes for RHEL?

Paul.