Re: several discrepancies with new -2139 kernel.

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Gene Heskett wrote:

Ed Greshko wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:

and this goddamned touchpad on this lappy cannot be disabled, so parts
of the above line got overwritten when it decided to move the cursor
without bothering to advise me.  If someone can advise me on howto
disable it, I'll send them a jug of a local wine we think is pretty good
for a commodity wine.

My procedure involves a set of screw drivers and an Xacto knife.  Do, I
still get the wine?  :-)

Ed

If it works!

(1) Check the BIOS. There may be a setting to enable/disable the touchpad or the pointing stick.

This bios, if it went to the same school I did 66 years ago, would never graduate to 2nd grade. None of that stuff is in it.

(2) Try removing the syanptics RPM. I'm not sure what that leaves you with, possibly a touchpad that moves the cursor but doesn't scroll or tap.

That appears to be a dead end:
[root@diablo 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5]# rpm -qa|grep synaptic
[root@diablo 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5]#
[root@diablo 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5]# man synaptics
No manual entry for synaptics

(3) See /usr/share/doc/synaptics*/ and man synaptics. (In particular, check out the suggestively named TouchpadOff parameter.) If what bothers you is accidental tapping when you are typing, man syndaemon.

[root@diablo man syndaemon
No manual entry for syndaemon

Next?  :-)
Should I install it just so I can disable it? Seems counter intuitive, but what the hey.. I have, but unless it takes a reboot, I can't find where to start it.

Now there is a man syndaemon! which sort of explains the changes to xorg.conf, but not very well. I also have one of the M$ little bluetooth mice plugged into the usb port on the right edge of the machine. That works rather nicely.

It would appear that livna is out of step with itself:
nable to satisfy dependencies
Package kmod-ndiswrapper needs ndiswrapper-kmod-common = 1.13, this is not available. Package kmod-ndiswrapper needs ndiswrapper-kmod-common = 1.13, this is not available.
Package kmod-ntfs needs ntfs-kmod-common = 2.1.26, this is not available.
Package kmod-ntfs needs ntfs-kmod-common = 2.1.26, this is not available.

Now to restart x and see how bad I screwed it up...

--
Cheers, Gene