Re: Various recent threads about networking issues

Hi,

Well, my issue wasn't two nics, but two ip addresses on one nic, neither
of which was coming up.

The new scripts appear to help. At least, I'm back on line, though I
can't bring up both eth0 and eth0:0 on boot (unless with rc.local,
perhaps).

Matthew Saltzman writes:
> (1) Install initscripts-8.31.2-1 from updates-testing.

Done, with rpm --replacepkgs because I think I'd already downloaded this
rpm last night but had not followed the procedure you outline.

> (3) Open system-config-network and delete all interfaces from the

> interfaces tab and all devices from the hardware tab.

Removed two ifcfg-eth0* files by hand.

> (4) Edit /etc/modprobe.conf and remove aliases for network devices.
Done.

> (5) Reboot.
> (6) Open system-config-network and verify that your devices are correctly
> configured.  (Note that the device order may have changed.  After this, it
> will not change again.)

ifconfig eth0 reports correct mac address.

> (7) Check /etc/modprobe.conf.  If you use an ipw2200, the following
> options are recommended:
>
> 	options ipw2200 hwcrypto=0 associate=0

The r8169 driver is not back in modprobe.conf, but it is listed out by
lsmod. That's good enough for me.

> (7) Test your interfaces.

I have static ip addresses, so tried bringing the ifcfg-eth* files back
and running ifup. That doesn't work--system just hangs without returning
the shell prompt.

Configuring by hand with ifconfig works.

Further expirimentation indicates that putting ifcfg-eth0 back in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts is OK. I get my internal, nat'd address
on boot. But, putting ifcfg-eth0:0 back causes only the eth0:0 to end up
configured. Is it being reconfigured?

In other words, I can't seem to auto configure two addresses on the same
interface, so I have opted to load the nonroutable 192.168. address on
boot, and apply the routable by hand. I may try adding a statement to
rc.local--but I don't expect to do much booting with this machine.
Things should just stay.

Janina