Re: FC5 locks solid after running parted

Chris Allen wrote:
> I have a Supermicro box with dual 3.2GHz Xeon processors, a 250GB disk
> containing FC5 and 16 x 750GB sata disks on a single Areca controller.
>
> Linux vsnap1 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp #1 SMP Tue Mar 14 16:05:46 EST 2006
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> The script below locks the machine solid about 40% of the time that I
> run it.
> It should remove the first partition from each of the sata drives
> (sdb-sdq) and
> write a single new 250GB partition to each of them.
>
> There is nothing printed on the console, nothing in /var/log/messages - in
> fact no error messages of any sort. If I run the parted commands one by one
> from the console I can never make it crash.
>

> Ideas anyone??
>

> #!/bin/bash
> for i in b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q
> do
> parted -s /dev/sd$i rm 1
> parted -s /dev/sd$i mkpart primary ext2 0 250GB
> done

Dumb idea - could it be a timing problem when running the two parted
commands one right after the other from a script? You could test
this by putting something like "sleep 1s" between the two parted
commands. You could also try putting it between the second parted
command and done, to see if it is a problem of accessing a new drive
before the operations on the old drive are finished. If one of these
fixes the problem, then it gives a better idea of where to look for
the real problem.

Mikkel