Re: [OTs] free video hardware

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 10:08:37 +0200,
 "A.J. Bonnema" <abonnema@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What I am looking for is 3D performance. I will just go and see if I can
find a comparison of Radeon 9200 and other cards (like my radeon 800 XL).

Another nice thing about 9200s is that they don't need a fan for the card,
so its quieter.

Well they shouldn't need a fan but the one my desktop suffers visual aberations without additional airflow.

The 9200/9250 aren't very long for the world at this point so smoke it while you have it as the saying goes.

BTW my own card works well with the radeon driver for 2D, but I am
looking for 3D performance too (I don't know why, but I like playing
games :{  )

The driver for the 9200 uses the 3d features of the card. The reason things
are slower is that the card is an older model.

If you buy a 9200, stay away from the SE cards.

Also note that free software support for ATI r300 based cards is being worked
on. I don't know the exact state of things, but my impression is that the
the driver is usable now.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx