Re: New DHCP For Linux?

Alan Peery wrote:
> taharka wrote:
>
>> The new DHCP client is being proposed by kernel developer Stefan Rompf
>> and will (when completed) automatically recognize when a Linux user has
>> disconnected from a particular DHCP server and look for a new
>> connection.
>>

> nifd already does this.
>
> This level of functionality also doesn't belong in the kernel.  If it's
> in the kernel, I can't change the behaviour.  I may want to make it
> behave like APIPA in Windows, or something more specific to my
> environment...
>
> Alan

Reading the posting, it looks like the new client is also in user
space. What is added to the kernel is the ability to notify the
client of the disconnect. You do not have to change to the new
client. Also, there is nothing stopping people from updating the
current clients to make them aware of the kernel feature.

Mikkel